The mission of Southeast Community Services, Inc. is to “work together to serve, strengthen and support our neighbors in southeast Indianapolis.”
We advance our mission by:
- Building a sense of community in southeast Indianapolis
- Seeking resident participation and encouraging resident leadership
- We are an organization that provides our neighbors resources in employment, education, and social services that lead to positive change in their lives and in the community.
- Providing the tools to support neighbors in creating positive changes in their lives
- Coordinating our efforts with the Southeast Quality of Life Plan and partners
Southeast Community Services was organized in 1972 through Mayor Richard Lugar’s office as a consortium of area agencies and neighborhood groups to deliver needed services to the near southeast side of Indianapolis. Originally known as the Southeast Multi-Service Center, the organization shortened its name to Southeast Community Services in 2000.
Since our founding in 1972, we have been committed to addressing the diverse needs of residents, from youth to seniors. Our overall goal is to help residents lead dignified, fulfilling, and self-sufficient lives through the promotion of financial stability.
Located in the heart of the Fountain Square district at 901 Shelby Street, our facility is easily accessible by foot and bus line.
The geographic boundaries of our primary service area are Washington Street on the north to Thompson Road on the south, and Post Road on the east to I-65 on the west. Most clients come from the Fountain Square cultural district, but we serve anyone who walks through our doors, regardless of primary residence.
Equality and Inclusion:
Promoting equality, diversity and inclusion is core to our business.
Equality is about creating a culture where everyone can participate and have the opportunity to fulfill their potential, removing or reducing unfair discrimination and breaking down barriers for people in particular groups.
Diversity is about including everyone, having a better understanding of the diverse needs of our community and valuing differences in individuals by allowing people with different backgrounds, perspectives and views to use their unique blend of skills and character to improve the quality and performance of the agency.
In accordance with the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion, no applicant, employee, or constituent will receive less favorable treatment on the grounds of:
- Race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origins
- Sex, marital status, civil partnership, sexual orientation, or gender identity
- Religion or belief
- Membership or non membership of a trade union
- Employment status. i.e. permanent, temporary, fixed term, full or part time
- Pregnancy, maternity or paternity
- Long term unemployment
We are committed to:
- Promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusion throughout SECS
- Promoting a harmonious working environment in which all persons are treated with dignity and respect
- Preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimization
- Fulfilling all our legal obligations under the equality legislation and associated codes of practice
- Meeting our general and specific duties within the Equality Act 2010
- Taking lawful affirmative or positive action, where appropriate
- Providing support to any employee who is subjected to unlawful or unacceptable discrimination in the course of his/her employment.
- Treating all complaints seriously and dealing with them promptly.
SECS will not tolerate any processes, attitude or behavior that may amount to unfair discrimination, including harassment, victimization and bullying through prejudice, ignorance, and thoughtlessness or stereotyping.